Here are the competition rules for Word Mania USA, the
biggest online literacy competition for schools in the USA!
- Teachers must register for students to play LiteracyPlanet Word Mania USA. Teachers must read and accept the Terms and Conditions to enter.
- The competition is by year level, and to participate students must be in one of Grades 1 to 9 (English National Curriculum or local equivalent) at the time of registration.
- Teachers and students should make sure that students are registered under their correct year level.
- To generate scores for their school students must play using a school linked login.
- Students should keep their login details safe and their passwords private. Students should be the only one to use their login to play.
- Finalists will be notified by March 12, 2019 , and invited to participate in the Final round, from March 13, 2019 to March 15, 2019.
- Final winners and runners-up will be announced on 20 March, 2019.
- For each game completed students will receive a score for all valid words created. Points are awarded for each valid word created based on the length and complexity of each word.
- The competition relies on an honesty policy. Students are expected to compete unaided and use their own skill and ability in the competition.
- Word Mania USA is a competition for schools. Home customers of LiteracyPlanet can play Word Mania for free by using their LiteracyPlanet logins, but will not be eligible for prizes. Home customers are encouraged to get their school involved.
Terms and Conditions
- The promoter of the Competition is LiteracyPlanet Inc, 641 W Lake St #200, Chicago, IL 60661, USA (“LiteracyPlanet”) (“LiteracyPlanet”).
- Entry is only open to schools registered under appropriate legislation in their country, with students in any of Grades 1 to 9 (English National Curriculum or local equivalent). (“Entrant").
- Entrant scores can only be made up of scores by students who are residents or citizens in their school's country in Entrant Grade Levels 1 to 9 at the time of registration (“Students”).
- Employees (and their immediate families) of LiteracyPlanet and agencies associated with this Competition are ineligible to enter. Immediate family means child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption).
- The Competition website is open for registration from 12.01am Central Time (CT) on January 14, 2019 until midnight (CT) March 1, 2019 (“Registration Period”). Once registered, Students can access the practice game. Registration Period scores will not be used to contribute to an Entrant’s scores during the Competition. Entrants may register following the conclusion of the Registration Period, until March 8, 2019 (Competition Rounds closing date) and may participate in the Competition from the time of registration onwards. The Competition will be held as follows:
- Competition Round will be open to all eligible Entrants from 12.01am (CT) March 4, 2019 to 11.59pm (CT) Friday March 8, 2019 (“Competition Round”).
- The Entrants with the three highest (Top 3) scores for skill in their Region for their year level at the end of Competition Round will be deemed finalists (“Finalists”) and will compete in a final round (“Final Round”).
- The Final Round will be open to eligible Finalists from 12.01am (CT) Wednesday March 13, 2019 to 11.59pm (CT) Friday March 15, 2019.
How to Enter the Competition
- The Competition is a game of skill. To be eligible to win, an Entrant must:
1. Have a LiteracyPlanet account or register at www.literacyplanet.com or www.wordmania.com/us/ (“Website”) during the Competition (refer 'Competition Dates').
2. Have a minimum of one (1) teacher and five (5) Students from the same year level with LiteracyPlanet accounts during the Competition.
- Students must:
1. Be in Entrant Grade Levels 1 to 9 at the time of the Competition.
2. Participate by logging on to the Website or Word Mania App and specifying a unique login and password combination, and following the prompts.
3. Be registered by their correct Grade Level.
- A Student must not share their account with other students. Only the named Student registered with their correct Grade Level is permitted to use their account to participate in the Competition.
- Students may access the Website and the Game through any compatible computer or device with an internet connection, at home or at the Entrant’s school. Supported devices are iPhone SE/6 or above running iOS 9.1 or above; iPad 3 or iPad Mini 2 or above running iOS 9.1 or above; Android 4.4 or above with a 720p screen or higher resolution; Internet Explorer 11, Chrome 56, Safari 9.1, Firefox 45 or above with Flash Player 22 or above.
- There is no fee to enter the Competition.
How to Win the Competition
- The Competition is an online word building challenge. A software program on the Website generates a random combination of 15 letters in a randomised format, which presents as a word puzzle known as “Word Mania”. Word Mania is owned and operated by LiteracyPlanet. Students are required to create as many words as they can in a three-minute time frame from the letters that are generated (“Game”).
- Students will be scored for each valid word created. To ensure fairness score generation is automated. Students score points based on four criteria:
1. The correct spelling of words;
2. The length of each word;
3. The complexity of the word; and
4. The number of valid words created consecutively within a time period.
- When a Student submits a word through Word Mania, the word is referenced against the Hunspell English Dictionaries derived from SCOWL to verify accuracy. LiteracyPlanet has also generated a list of words that are considered profane/inappropriate. These are excluded from use in the Competition ("Profanity"). Please contact LiteracyPlanet if you wish to view the list of Profanities. If a word is not found in the dictionary, or the word is a Profanity, that word is excluded from the Competition and will not count towards the Entrant’s overall Score ("Excluded Word").
- The software program automatically calculates the total points earned by a Student for all valid words at the conclusion of each Game to generate the Student’s score per Game (“Score").
- The average number of games completed per Student in each Round (where at least 10 games have been completed) will determine the Entrant’s participation ranking for that year level in that Round (“Round Participation Rank”). The Entrant that scores the highest Round Participation Rank in their region will be that year level’s regional winner for participation for that Round (“Participation Round Winner").
- The sum of the highest fifty (50) Scores out of all Games played by Students in each Round will determine the Entrant's skill score for that year level in that Round (“Round Skill Score"). No more than 10 scores can come from a single Student. The Entrant with the highest Score in their region will be that year level’s regional winner for skill (“Regional Round Winner”). In the event of a tie LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
- The Entrants with the three highest (Top 3) Scores in their Region for their year level will be Finalists eligible to compete in the Final Round (“Final Round”). In the event of a tie LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
- The sum of the highest fifty (50) Scores out of all Games played by Students from one year level for an Entrant during the Final Round will be used to calculate the Entrant's final score for that year level (“Final Score"). No more than 10 final scores can come from a single Student. In the event of a tie LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
- There are nine (9) Winners for the Competition (“National Winners”). The Entrant year levels that generate the highest Final Score (calculated by totalling the highest fifty (50) Game Scores for that year level generated during the Final Round where no more than 10 scores come from a single Student) are the Year Level Winners and will be named the "LiteracyPlanet Word Mania USA Grade X Winner". In the event of a tie LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
- There are nine (9) second place winners (“First Runner-up”). The Entrant year levels that generate the second highest Final Score (calculated by totalling the highest fifty (50) Scores for that year level generated during the Final Round where no more than 10 scores come from a single Student), are the First Runners-up. In the event of a tie LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
- There are nine (9) third place winners (“Second Runner-up”). The Entrant year levels that generate the third highest Final Score (calculated by totalling the highest fifty (50) Scores for that year level generated during the Final Round where no more than 10 scores come from a single Student), are the Second Runner-up. In the event of a tie LiteracyPlanet will use the next 50 highest scores to determine places.
- All results are subject to moderation by LiteracyPlanet.
- Participation Round Winners and Regional Round Winners will be notified by LiteracyPlanet by email on the first business day following that Round and published on the Website and all affiliate websites.
- Finalists will be notified by LiteracyPlanet by email on March 12, 2019 and published on the Website.
- Winners and Runners-up will be notified by LiteracyPlanet by email on March 20, 2019 and published on the Website.
- Prizes will be delivered in person or by electronic mail or by registered courier as appropriate.
- Nine (9) Winners will receive vouchers $500 credit towards a LiteracyPlanet school subscription. Total estimated value of $500 (or local currency equivalent).
- Nine (9) First Runners-up (2nd place) will receive $300 credit towards a LiteracyPlanet school subscription. Total estimated value of $300 (or local currency equivalent).
- Nine (9) Second Runners-up (3rd place) will receive $200 credit towards a LiteracyPlanet school subscription. Total estimated value of $200 (or local currency equivalent).
- Writing Task:
1. The prize consists of $100 credit towards a LiteracyPlanet subscription for the Student’s school (or local currency equivalent).
2. To enter the competition, Entrants or Students must email a LiteracyPlanet Word Mania USA story to email@example.com with a Full Name, Year Level and School, during the Competition.
3. The winner will be notified by email.
- Short Video:
1. The prize consists of a $100 credit towards a LiteracyPlanet subscription for the Student’s school (or local currency equivalent).
2. To enter the competition, Entrants or Students must email a LiteracyPlanet Word Mania USA video to firstname.lastname@example.org with a Full Name, Grade Level and School, during the Competition.
3. The winner will be notified by email.
- Word Mania USA Poster:
1. The prize consists of a $100 credit towards a LiteracyPlanet subscription for the Student’s school (or local currency equivalent).
2. To enter the competition, Entrants or Students must email a scan or image of a LiteracyPlanet Word Mania USA poster template artwork to email@example.com with a Full Name, Year Level and School, during the Competition.
3. The winner will be notified by email.
- Prizes are non-transferable and not redeemable for cash.
Advertising and Links to Other Websites
- The Website may contain links to third party sites (“Linked Site”). Linked Sites are not under our control and we are not responsible for the content of any Linked Site or any hyperlink contained in a Linked Site (“Subsequent Site”). We provide these hyperlinks to you as convenience only, and the inclusion of any link does not imply any endorsement of the Linked Site by us or by our directors, officers, agents, employees and contractors. You link to any Linked Site or Subsequent Site entirely at your own risk.
- Neither we nor our directors, officers, agents, employees and contractors give any representation or warranty as to the reliability, accuracy or completeness of any Linked Sites or Subsequent Sites, nor do we or they accept any responsibility arising in any way (including negligence) for errors in, or omissions from any Linked Sites or Subsequent Sites.
- When Entrants enter the Competition, Entrants agree that they are fully responsible for the content they submit. LiteracyPlanet shall not be liable in any way for such content to the full extent permitted by law. LiteracyPlanet may remove any content without notice for any reason whatsoever. Entrants warrant and agree that:
1. they will not submit any content that is defamatory, obscene, derogatory, unlawful or fraudulent, or that LiteracyPlanet may deem is in breach of any intellectual property, privacy, publicity or other rights, defamatory, obscene, derogatory, pornographic, sexually inappropriate, violent, abusive, harassing, threatening, objectionable with respect to race, religion, origin or gender, not suitable for children aged under 15, or otherwise unsuitable for publication;
2. their content shall not contain viruses or cause injury or harm to any person or entity; and
3. they will comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including without limitation, those governing copyright, content, defamation, privacy, publicity and the access or use of others' computer or communication systems. Without limiting any other terms herein, the entrant agrees to indemnify LiteracyPlanet for any breach of the above terms.
- This is a game of skill and chance plays no part in determining the winners.
- In the event of war, terrorism, state of emergency or disaster, LiteracyPlanet reserves the right to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition or suspend or modify a prize.
- Incomplete entries will be deemed invalid. This includes entries generated under accounts that are not linked to a valid teacher email address.
- This Competition is completely unsupervised and relies on Entrants’ honesty in undertaking the Competition, using Students’ own skill and natural ability. LiteracyPlanet has the discretion to disqualify any Entrant that LiteracyPlanet reasonably suspects in its opinion has received assistance from any person to compete in the Competition or complete any Games. LiteracyPlanet reserves the right to require a Student to undertake a series of Games in the presence of a LiteracyPlanet authorised representative to verify that the Entrant has participated in the Competition without assistance from any other person, before that Entrant is awarded a prize in connection with the Competition. If LiteracyPlanet determines that a Student has competed in the Competition with assistance and disqualifies that Student (“Disqualified Student”), any score that that Disqualified Student has generated will be disregarded.
- Teachers for each Entrant:
- The teacher of each participating Student agrees to indemnify LiteracyPlanet against:
1. any claims made by the Student against LiteracyPlanet or its affiliates in connection with the Competition or the Student's participation in the Competition; and
- If there is a dispute as to the identity of a Student, LiteracyPlanet reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine the identity of the Entrant.
- LiteracyPlanet’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- If for any reason a winner does not take a prize (or an element of the prize) by the time stipulated by LiteracyPlanet, then the prize (or that element of the prize) will be forfeited.
- If any prize (or part of any prize) is unavailable, LiteracyPlanet, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
- Total prize pool value is $10,000.
- Prizes, or any unused portion of a prize, are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash, unless otherwise specified.
- Entrants consent to LiteracyPlanet and its promotional affiliates including related entities, using the Entrant's Game entries, name, likeness, image and/or voice (including photograph, film and/or recording of the same) in any media for an unlimited period without remuneration for the purpose of promoting the Competition (including any outcome), and promoting any products manufactured, distributed and/or supplied by LiteracyPlanet.
- If the Competition is interfered with in any way or is not capable of being conducted as reasonably anticipated due to any reason beyond the reasonable control of LiteracyPlanet, including but not limited to technical difficulties, unauthorized intervention or fraud, LiteracyPlanet reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to the fullest extent permitted by law (a) to disqualify any Entrant; or (b) to modify, suspend, terminate or cancel the Competition, as appropriate.
- Any cost associated with accessing the Website is the Entrant’s responsibility and is dependent on the internet service provider used.
- LiteracyPlanet recognises that there may be concerns regarding the collection and use of personal information on the Website.
- LiteracyPlanet recognises and values the protection of your personal information, and is aware of its obligations under the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and will fulfil its obligations in accordance with this Act.
- LiteracyPlanet collects personal information in order to conduct the Competition and may, for this purpose, disclose such information to third parties, including but not limited to agents, contractors and service providers. If the personal information requested is not provided, the Entrant cannot participate in the Competition. By participating in the Competition, each Entrant consents to LiteracyPlanet using and disclosing their personal information to LiteracyPlanet's related entities, agencies and other third parties engaged to provide services in connection with the Competition, for use for promotional, marketing, publicity, research and profiling purposes, including sending electronic messages or telephoning the entrant. Entrants should direct any request to access, update or correct information to LiteracyPlanet. Entrants provide this consent until such a time as they withdraw it by giving notice to LiteracyPlanet.
- From time to time, LiteracyPlanet may ask you to supply personal information such as your name, gender, address, date of birth, telephone number and email address. Under no circumstances will LiteracyPlanet request or collect any information from you that may disclose your political, religious or philosophical beliefs or affiliations; sexuality; racial or ethnic origin; or criminal convictions.
- LiteracyPlanet may also conduct surveys or market research and may seek other information from you from time to time. These surveys will provide information to allow the improvement in the type and quality of service offered to you.
- Most commercial websites use ‘cookies’ which are pieces of information that websites send to the browser, and are stored on your computer hard-drive. Cookies make using the Website easier by storing information about your preferences on the Website. This allows the Website to be tailored to you. Cookies will not identify you personally.
- If you would prefer not to receive cookies, you can alter your security settings on your web browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used. However, by disabling the cookie function in your web browser you may impede your ability to use parts of the Website.
- We may from time to time run competitions or offer additional benefits to you, and we may ask you to provide us with your personal details for these purposes. Providing us with this information is optional. However, not providing your personal information means we may not be able to contact you or offer you access to additional benefits.
- You may opt out from our continued communications at any time by e-mailing us. To unsubscribe from our e-mail database, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, using "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line of the e-mail.
- Your personal information, including your e-mail address, will be used to ensure the proper functioning of the Website; and to assist us with our marketing, planning, product development and research requirements.
- We will not use or disclose (or permit the use or disclosure of) personal information that could be used to identify an individual member in any circumstances except:
2. to communicate promotional offers and special events to you;
3. to avoid risks to health and safety of an individual or society at large;
4. where the law requires us, or authorises us to do so;
5. where you have given express consent to us for a prescribed purpose.
- We will not sell, distribute, rent, licence, disclose, share or pass your personal information onto any third parties, other than those who are contracted to us to keep the information confidential, whether subject to a statute or a scheme which imposes similar restrictions to the National Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) regarding the handling of personal information.
- We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all information collected from you is accurate, up to date, complete and stored in a secure environment and accessed only by our authorised personnel.
- Please note that no information transmitted over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We will endeavour to protect your personal information as best as possible, but we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us, or receive from us. The transmission and exchange of information is carried out at your own risk.
- All entrants may have their details removed from LiteracyPlanet’s database by contacting LiteracyPlanet or by sending an email to email@example.com. If details are removed prior to the conclusion of the Competition and/or award of prize(s), entrants will forfeit their right to claim any prizes.
- You have the right to access the information that you provide to us. If you wish to access, modify or remove any personal information that you have provided to us, please contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our privacy statements
LiteracyPlanet puts trust at the foundation of our relationships with schools and are committed to protecting the privacy of individuals whose information is in our custody. We take the security of the personal data very seriously and understand that privacy is not just an essential part of what we do, but also a core concern for our business. If you'd like more information, please review our compliance statements below.