Frequently Asked Questions
LiteracyPlanet Word Mania Saudi Arabia 2018 is a free competition for schools involving a seriously fun online game that challenges students to build as many words as they can in three minutes. The competition is by year level and open to Years 1 to 9.
The Word Mania game is available for practice from Monday, September 10 and the competition starts on Sunday, November 4. There are two rounds of online competition, and a final round for the highest scoring schools:
- Practice - Monday, September 10 to Friday, November 2.
- Competition Round 1 - Sunday, November 4 to Friday, November 9.
- Competition Round 2 - Sunday, November 11 to Friday, November 16.
- Final Round - Sunday, November 18 to Friday, November 23.
- Click ‘Start’ and you will get a three-second countdown before your board with 15 random letters is revealed and the three-minute countdown starts.
- Drag letters into the dock and arrange or rearrange them to build words.
- Click ‘Mark’ to score each word.
- Drag letters out of the dock to remove them, or press ‘Clear’ to start again.
- At the end of each three-minute game players receive a game score and number of valid words built.
The competition is free, and to participate schools must be registered and have students in or between Years 1 to 9.
- If your school has a LiteracyPlanet account you have automatic access to Word Mania, and teachers can contact LiteracyPlanet on 1300 565 696 to arrange competition logins for additional students who don’t use the program.
- If your school does not already use LiteracyPlanet, teachers can register the school for Word Mania 2018.
There is more than £10,000 in prizes to be won, for both participation and skill.
- Digital certificates will be awarded for the first, second and third on the regional participation leaderboards for each year level from Year 1 to 9 at the end of each round.
- Digital certificates will be awarded for the first, second and third on the regional skill leaderboard (which continues throughout the two weeks of the competition) for each year level from Year 1 to 9.
- Digital certificates will be awarded for the first, second and third on the national participation leaderboard for both rounds.
- Cash and prizes to the total value of £10,000 will be awarded for first, second and third on the national leaderboard Prizes for each region’s highest scoring school for each year level at the end of the competition rounds.
- Scores are by year level.
- Participation scores are based on the average number of games completed per student in that year level.
- Skill scores are based on the sum of the highest 50 game scores from at least five students from the same year level in a school.
At the end of Round One, schools are awarded certificates for coming First, Second or Third in their Year Group and Region for Participation.
At the end of Round Two, schools are awarded certificates for coming First, Second or Third in their Year Group and Region for Skill - and they also qualify for the Word Mania Finals.
At the end of the Final Round, schools that come First, Second and Third for their Year Group over all are determined as Word Mania Winners.
- You have to be in or between Years 1 to 9 and have a LiteracyPlanet school login to participate.
- If you have a LiteracyPlanet school login, you can play by logging in and clicking on the Word Mania icon, or through the free Word Mania 2018 App (Available from the Google Store and Apple Store).
- If you do not have a LiteracyPlanet school login ask your teacher to organise one for you by registering your school for Word Mania 2018 at www.wordmania.com/sa.
- When you play using a LiteracyPlanet school login your scores will automatically go towards your school’s scores.
- Tell your friends about the competition and make sure they also have logins to play.
- If you and your friends have LiteracyPlanet Word Mania logins you can be Word Buddies and play against each other. See how under ‘Can I play Word Mania against my friends?’.
- Yes! To play against a friend they must be your ‘Word Buddy’.
- To make a friend a Word Buddy, click ‘Challenge a Friend’. Send your friend a Word Buddy request - they will also need to have a login for the Competition and you will need to know their username. When a friend accepts your Word Buddy request they are added to your Word Buddy list.
- Choose a friend from your Word Buddy list and click ‘Challenge a Word Buddy’ to send them a Challenge Request, which will appear on their Dashboard. Challenge Requests sent to you from your Word Buddies will appear on your Dashboard.
- When you play against a Word Buddy you will both get the same letter tiles for your challenge game.
- See all your challenge results under ‘Challenges’. Think you can do better? Rematch!
To successfully interact with our website, your browser must meet the following requirements:
- The browser must be configured to accept cookies.
- The browser must have Adobe Flash 21 or higher installed and enabled. You can check whether you have Flash installed by clicking here.
To deliver a high level of customer support, LiteracyPlanet relies on statistical data obtained from visitors to our website, rather than generic industry data. We regularly review this data to determine which browsers to support.
We validate and fully support our customers' use of the following browser/platform combinations:
- Chrome (43 or higher) for Windows (Vista, 7, 8), and OS X(10.8, 10.9 ,10.10)
- Internet Explorer (11 and higher) for Windows (Vista, 7, 8)
- Firefox (38 or higher) for Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8), and Mac OS (10.8, 10.9,10.10)
- Safari (7.1 or higher) for OS X(10.8, 10.9,10.10)
- We invest time and resources to ensure that our websites and Applications are consistent across each supported browser/platform combination.
If you are experiencing a problem using one of the browser/platform combinations we support, please contact our technical support group for assistance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are experiencing a problem on an unsupported browser/platform combination, the issue might be resolved by using one of the supported browsers mentioned above.
Users on all supported platforms can manually check whether their installed Flash Player is the latest and most secure version. To check which version of Flash Player you are running, go to the Flash Player home page. This page runs a version test that reports your currently installed version of Flash Player and lists the latest available version for the platform. To install the latest version of Flash Player visit the installation page.
The Word Mania 2016 App is supported on the following devices:
- iPhone (4S or higher) and iPad (2 or mini or higher) with iOS 7.1 or higher
- Android 4.3 or above with a screen of 720p or higher.
LiteracyPlanet is a safe website for children.
We recommend that children keep their username and password in a secure place and do not share it with anyone besides their parent and teacher. We advise against publishing usernames on the Internet and if playing on a shared computer, tablet or phone, to remember to properly log out when finished.
- If your school has a LiteracyPlanet account and students in or between Years 1 to 9, you have automatic access to Word Mania.
- Students who already have LiteracyPlanet school logins can play by logging in and clicking on the Word Mania icon, or through the free Word Mania 2018 App.
- Teachers from schools with LiteracyPlanet accounts can contact LiteracyPlanet on 0208 865 9765 to arrange competition logins for additional students who don’t use the program.
- If your school does not already use LiteracyPlanet register for Word Mania 2018 at www.wordmania.com/sa/schools
- The competition is by year level, so make sure every class for each year level is participating, and the more year levels that are participating the more chances your school has to win prizes.
- There are prizes for participation, which is based on the average number of games played by all students in that year level.
- There are prizes for skill, with scores based on the sum of the highest 50 game scores from at least five students from the same year level in a school.
- There is more than £10,000 in prizes to be won, for both participation and skill.
- Prizes for year levels at the top of the regional participation leaderboards at the end of each round.
- Prizes for each region’s highest scoring school for each year level at the end of the competition rounds.
- Prizes for the top 10 schools for each year level nationally at the end of the competition rounds (national finalists).
- Prizes for the top three schools for each year level after the final round. What prizes can my school and class win?
- Prizes include Teach Starter subscriptions, Australian Geographic book packs, literacy games for the classroom, trophies and large cash prizes for final winners. See the prize page for more details.
- Teachers and students can see which region their school is in from their dashboard.
Teachers and students can see how their year level is going in the participation and skill leaderboards for their region, in their dashboard.
Definitely not. Every school that has at least five students from the same year level playing Word Mania has a chance of winning prizes! Skill scores are based on the sum of the highest 50 game scores from at least five students from the same year level in a school.
Yes! We have a great e-toolkit for teachers including:
- Word Mania tips & tricks.
- Word building games for the classroom.
- Take home letter for parents.
- Reward certificate.
- Variety of creative tasks: colouring-in, collage, script & video, creative writing.
- Variety of literacy activity sheets: word finds, word shapes, ciphers, word polygons, find & correct.
- Download resources for your class here.
Word building is a fun challenge that involves many different literacy skills:
- Morphemes including affixes and plurals
- Word recognition
- Word knowledge
Word Mania tests and improves these skills, with the added challenge of speed!
- Your child must be in or between Years 1 to 9 and have a LiteracyPlanet school login to participate.
- If your child has a LiteracyPlanet school login, they can play by logging in and clicking on the Word Mania icon, or through the free Word Mania 2018 App.
- If your child does not have a LiteracyPlanet school login ask their teacher to organise one for them by contacting LiteracyPlanet at email@example.com or to register the school for Word Mania 2018 at www.wordmania.com/sa/schools.
- When children in Years 1 to 9 play using a LiteracyPlanet school login their scores will automatically go towards their school’s scores.
- Yes, if your child has a LiteracyPlanet school login, they can use this to play Word Mania on any desktop or device at home.
- This is a school competition. Your child can play the Word Mania game on a LiteracyPlanet home account but to participate in the competition and play for their school they will need a LiteracyPlanet school login.
To play against a friend, that friend must also have a LiteracyPlanet school login to play Word Mania and your child must know their friend’s username. Then your child can use the ‘Word Buddy’ feature to challenge them to a game. On their dashboard (web version) click ‘Challenge a Friend’ and send a Word Buddy request. They can choose a Word Buddy from their list and click on ‘Challenge a Word Buddy’ to play against them.